Permitted Development

Permitted Development

The provisions of The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 allow for some types of development to take place and new uses to occur without planning permission being required.

The most widely used provisions are in Part 1 of the order and relate to householder development. There are extensions that can be built to a residential house that will not always require permission, but there are conditions and limitations to this. Our team keep up-to-date on legislation changes and have an excellent working knowledge of the process involved.

If you are building within the limitations of permitted development you may not need to apply for a certificate to prove that you can build what is permitted in the order, but it is advised that you do consider getting a certificate. This is important if you come to sell your home in the future or if the regulations change and what you have built would no longer be acceptable at least you can prove under what legislation it was built.

The order is always being reviewed by the government and this has led to greater allowances for business and commercial premises, however care must be taken to ensure that the necessary conditions are met and in some cases this includes submitting for a decision on whether Prior Approval is required.

Our team will be able to identify whether your development requires permission and can advise on what needs to be done, we can prepare the certificate application and ensure that all the necessary information is included in your application to ensure that there are no delays with the council. Please call one of our team on 01202 551991 to discuss ways we can help.